Football. El Fútbol. Le Football. O Futebol. 足球 Voetbal.
Whichever language you speak, the message should be clear – 2014 FIFA World Cup is here! Life as you know it for the next month or so will be… different, especially for spouses and significant others who are not “football-minded”.
Naturally I was super-excited when an ardent football fan & friend from Trinidad and Tobago – James Nicholas – decided to preserve relationships the world over, by issuing some “sage” advice to his friends. The following are his own words, reproduced with his permission. If you want to make sure your relationship survives “Brazilmania”, read on!
“From now until Thursday I will be posting tips to help your relationship survive the world cup (for the ladies and some for the men).
1. World cup is like the weather, try as you may you can either cry or sing in the rain, but one thing is for sure….it’s going to rain. So embrace it and accept that it is going to happen.
2. Understand that this is man time, just like it’s woman time when you want to do your thing eg. talk, go shopping, movies etc..it’s only for 1 month and the worst will be over in two weeks, after the group stages you might actually get to go out but don’t push it.
3. Your husband/bf team is your team unless you follow football and have your own team then most of this status isn’t for you anyway. You will support his team…you can even go as far as buying him his favourite team jersey….if you aren’t engaged yet this might just do the trick…a man needs to know you care about the things he cares about.
I‘m going to answer some of the more popular questions women/men ask during a game so you wont have to ask..This can be printed and stuck on the door or fridge.
Q1. I thought you usually support Manchester United how come you’re supporting Brazil?
A1. **Blank stare**…..Club and country are two different things..
Q2. Wasn’t there a finals recently? Why is there another one now lasting a whole month?
A2. Ref. answer A1 and there are knock outs in which the top two teams will face off
Q3. I thought you were watching the game. Why are you on your phone/tablet/laptop?…you aren’t really watching the game, you just don’t want to speak to me (this statement is a technical foul)
A3. **The answer for this question varies based on the person**
– I’m posting to social media an atrocity to which I spotted
– I’m talking to (insert friend’s name here) who is supporting the other team or my team
– I’m checking my fantasy team
Q4. You know, it seems like you are more focused on football than on me at any point in time…
A4. That is erroneous and purely based on your perception…I only have this for a month…you I have with me always *please note that last statement is a double-edged sword use wisely*
Q5. At half time can you/we….?
A5. No. half time is for highlights and bathroom breaks.”
To be Continued!
Wait, Don’t stop there! FOLLOW ISLAND VIGNETTES, leave a COMMENT or hit LIKE!
Thanks a bunch for stopping by!