The past few months brought news of several engagements and offered the opportunity to support friends and family members toward their nuptials.
The heartiest of congratulations to you all. Cupid you have been very busy. On the other hand the past few months also brought news of separations, divorces and abuse. The statistics on marraiges and divorce are not encouraging. In fact it is downright depressing. At the same time, we are in the information age. A time when tons of facts, suppositions and opinions are at our fingertips. I want to urge all couples out there, think before you leap. Do your research, seek advice. Don’t ever make the mistake of thinking you’ve got it covered and don’t discount your parents’ experiences. Learn from them. Here are a few statistics I found at Chicago Tribune
- The average age for first marriage: 26 for women, 28 for men
- 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce
- 60 percent of all couples who marry between 20 and 25 divorce
- More than 50 percent of all first marriages are preceded by living together
- The dissolution rate for women who live with their future spouse before getting married is nearly 80 percent higher than the rate of those who do not.
I will try to find some statistics to do a comparison of marraiges in the Caribbean.
Bottom line – the odds are already against you, so do your homework. As an aside, let me also urge you – don’t stop believing in love or the sanctity of marraige. Again congratulations to my dear friends and family members on their new journey!
If you enjoyed this post, please click to FOLLOW ISLAND VIGNETTES, leave a COMMENT, hit LIKE or SHARE with a friend! Thanks for visiting!